Friday, January 26, 2007

reading rainbow......

it can take you anywhere.....it's in a book, just take a look, reading rainbow.... i read a lot of books now, because i live in the middle of no where and there's nothing else really to do. so i thought i should keep everyone updated on what i'm reading, if i like or not, good quotes, bad quotes, etc. here's a list of what i've read in the past 2 months:

Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut (I'm still reading this one)

I've really enjoyed all of them. I like to read. I especially enjoyed Dharma Bums, and would recommend it, if you're wanting to read a good book. I do have to warn you that there are some orgies involved in the book. I'm making Mandy read it. I just finished Into the Wild. It was really sad/inspiring. It's a true story about a 22 year old who hitchhiked to Alaska and died. And now I'm reading A Man Without a Country. It's written by the same guy who wrote Slaughterhouse Five, which is another good book. My favorite book of all time though is Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger. That book truely changed my life and brought me closer to God. Here's a quote I liked from the book I'm reading:

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get enormous reward. You will have created something."

2 comments:

philter said...

i must say I do love On The Road by Jack Kerouac.
I used to totally dig him. I have been to a store in San Fran that he hung out at. City Light Books.

Cool

Zachary Rupp said...

Julie. check it out i'm leaving you a comment and i'm in thailand. anyway, i just got caught up on your blog, and i have to say i'm impressed. the things you write are really though-provoking. i miss hanging out with you. see you soon.